These chairs were given to me by my new friend, Butch. They once belonged to his grandmother. I cleaned, primed, and painted them in flat black before sealing with polyurethane. Then, i reupholstered the seats with leftover facric that I had lying around. Since the cane was pretty severely broken on two of them, so I decided to remove it and replace them with upholstery as well. I fell in love with these, and decided to keep them. That are currently in my dining room. So rad.
This bakers rack was found in the garbage by my friend Mary. It was a little wobby and scratched, but it was a solid piece and in no way worthy of a landfill! I repaired everything, sanded down the top, primed and painted the body and rack in flat black, and sealed that part in clear wax. The top I left natural to get the butcher block look. After sanding it down, i just sealed it in a super durable spar polyurethane. It sold instantly, I love when that happens! haha
This coffee table belongs to a lady in my town. She and her husband purchas it fifteen years ago. It was one of the very first “grown up” pieces that they ever purchased, and it holds sentimental value for them. This is always my favorite type of work! Easy inspiration. When i picked it up, it had been chewed on by their dog and colored all over by their kids. Thankfully the previous finish had been worn down a lot, so sanding this one was a breeze. Once I got it down to bare wood, i applied some wood conditioner. After that, I restained the top in miniwax dark walnut and sealed it with a few coats of varuthane triplethick. That stuff is pretty magical. When Deb’s husband came to pick this up (he is a police officer and he showed up in uniform, which nearly gave my husband a heat attack), he said that it looks even better than when they first got it. That made me feel so awesome inside. I really love my job.
This cedar chest was previously painted in white, but the sealer that had been used yellowed and got very streaky. I sanded the whole thing down and then repainted it in a zero VOC paint (sherwin williams naturals) and then i highlighted all of the details in black wax. Finally I sealed the entire thing in clear wax. I love the way that it made the details pop out without looking overly darkened. This just has such pretty bones. I don’t think it could have gone wrong!